Players and Parents,
Metro FC is excited about the possibilities of returning to play soccer.
Thursday, May 21, 2020 the State of Ohio released Restart Ohio guidelines for the return to skills training for all sports on May 26, 2020. The published guidelines are available at the link below:
Restart Ohio - Skill Training for all Sports
On Friday afternoon, Ohio South released follow up information with regard to OSYSA player insurance compliance for skill training and answers to frequently asked questions. The link to the Ohio South information is available below.
Ohio South Information about return to Soccer Skill Training
Ohio South has taken a position that tryouts do not constitute a mass gathering as long as players maintain 6 feet of distancing and to not engage in any scrimmages or games as part of the tryout process. Parents must sign a waiver assuming all risk to their players for soccer participation in activities by OSYSA, member leagues, clubs and teams including any exposure to COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
While Metro FC supports the opportunity to return to small group skill training for our players, we as an organization do not believe it is in the best interest of players to actively be a part of in person tryouts. These are the key factors for this decision:
• A return to skill training will require control with regard to the number of players participating in a specific session and adequate spacing and field level control to maintain safety protocols. By its very nature, tryouts are not conducive to these necessary protocols.
• For Metro FC staff, in order to adequately evaluate players for placement on our teams we typically move players across small sided and large sided training groups during tryouts in order to evaluate players within an age group. This type of evaluation method even within the 6 feet social distancing guidelines would result in exposure of players to each other across multiple small groups, increasing the health risk to each player.
• Players have not had the opportunity to compete or train properly for the demands of soccer since the middle of March. We understand that players may have done some conditioning on their own or worked with the ball during the layoff. However, with the inability to actually utilize small sided and large sided scrimmages and games for evaluation, we do not feel that we could fairly evaluate players for placement on teams for 2020-2021. Soccer players need to be evaluated by playing soccer in various situations, and not just skill work.
• Players that are new to the club are not ready to be evaluated for placement on teams at this time. A gradual return to small group training in the coming weeks will be the first step to preparing players for the return to soccer. Metro FC wants our players to be confident and ready to participate when the state allows us to start actually playing soccer.
• We are just now beginning the process of reopening Ohio. The safety and health of your child is our greatest concern. Your children are not in school and there is no urgent need for your player to participate in a tryout next week that will be inadequate at best in determining appropriate placement within our organization.
All players that currently are not within the Metro FC program, and have completed tryout registration online, may be receiving a team offer from our program on Friday, May 29th. We will be offering spots based on needs per age group. We possibly will make adjustments to rosters as we get to fully evaluate players.
For players that accept these team offers for the 2020-2021, we will be providing additional information in June with opportunities for small group skill training ahead of the potential return to full sided friendlies and scrimmages later this summer. We want to get back on the fields, but in a controlled way that allows us to follow the OHD and OSYSA guidelines.
Players new to Metro FC will be evaluated by our training and coaching staff over the summer and at the start of our season (either late July for u14-below and late October for u15 and above) in order to determine the correct team placement for each player based on their competitive level of play. Returning players have been evaluated all year long and will be offered spots accordingly within each age group.
If you have any questions or concerns about our tryout and registration process please contact us.